Sunday 11 November 2018

Book review: Panda's Rule by Maria Abid




Order here: paperback, £18.99; ebook, £3.95



I don't do a lot of product testing any more (I have to earn a living after all), but the press release for this book caught my eye. A book written by an 11 year old? As it happens I have an 11 year old daughter who is also keen on writing. We have a project in the pipeline for a children's book too... a collaboration.

When I told her about this book, she wanted to read it. We love pandas, although she prefers penguins a bit more. When she was tiny we used to play a panda game, I was mama panda, she was born paw first, she fed on mama panda, mama panda climbed a tree to get her a bamboo stick, mama panda took a nasty thorn off her paw... I invented this game so I could laze in bed for a few moments at weekends. She is and always was very mobile and I just wanted to lie down in bed early in the morning on a weekend.

So two panda lovers. She read the book straightaway and gave me this honest feedback:

  • A good book with a good amount of drawings and images.
  • I wanted more description of the days the panda lives through. It rushed on and I wanted to know more.
  • The book is a bit big in size but I prefer the book to an ebook.
  • This book is suitable from birth to age 8. I am too old for this book. However I enjoyed it.

This is my 11-year-old feedback. I then gave her mine and she agreed on some of the points I raised.
  • The book could have benefited from editing by an adult. There are a few typos and a lot of adjectives are used, sometimes they are not necessary. The best use of adjectives is on page 32 at the very top.
  • The book is charming and I felt it was too short, but maybe it's part of a series.
  • I agree that this book is for young children. Parents can read it to babies and continue reading it until the child can read it herself/himself.
  • Some of the images are of not enough high resolution for print. They will be fine on the ebook though.
  • I would have liked a bit more of a connection between the story and the Chinese creative projects. 
  • Page 46, the song is close to the Disney one, even if some words have been changed. I advise caution, copyright issues are very intricate. It's always wise to seek permission or at least credit the original inspiration, even with a tiny note at the bottom of the page.
I think this is a great effort and creativity should be encouraged in children as much as possible. I am a professional writer/editor so pardon me if I was a bit too precise in my comments.

I hope my feedback is not taken the wrong way, it is meant constructively not critically. I do wish the author success and recognition. Keep writing - we would love to read more stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment